The blog turns two today, it has been a very delicious ride so far. I started this food blog in 2011 after I started food writing for burrp’s features section Know Your City. Initially, the idea was to write restaurant reviews but the blog kept growing and I started posting recipes that I was trying at home. The blog inspired me to bake more often and try out ingredients that I had never used before. Thanks blog and Happy Birthday.
To celebrate the blog’s birthday I thought of making something with bacon, my new found love :). I decided to go with this simple Roasted baby potatoes and bacon salad topped with caramelized onions. The dish tastes wonderful with different sort of flavours and textures; the crunchy bacon, sweet onions and pepper roasted potatoes, what’s not to like about it. I got the inspiration for the recipe from thecozyapron.com. Here’s the recipe with a slight twist.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Baby potatoes – 250 gms
Onion – 1 large
Bacon – 3-4 strips (depends on how much bacon heavu you want it to be)
Black pepper – 8 (lightly crushed)
Maple syrup – 1 tbsp
Parsley – 1 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Kosher Salt – 1 tsp
Olive oil – 2 tsp for potatoes, 2 tsp for caramelizing onions, 1 tsp for frying bacon
- Preheat the oven at 180 degree celcius.
- Peel and half the potatoes. Take them in baking dish, add salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Roast the potatoes in oven for about 30 minutes or till they are brown and crisp.
- Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a pan for caramelized onions, throw in onions and sugar and fry till they turn brown. Remove from the pan and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan, chop the bacon strips and fry them in the oil. Add maple syrup. Remove from pan and keep aside.
- Once potatoes are roasted move them in the serving bowl. Top them with maple bacon, caramelized onions and chopped parsley. Serve.
Grab a chilled beer too.